Friday 13 January 2012

Sean Sherk hoping to return in 2012, eyes UFC Hall of Fame

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Sean_Sherk_180.jpg
Former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk returned to the Octagon in September of 2010 after a 16 month layoff, and edged out Evan Dunham by decision. Then he fell off the map a bit in 2011, having not been seen in the UFC since the Dunham win.

"I wanted to fight [in 2011]," Sherk said in an interview with MMAJunkie.com. "But I had the same issues that held me out of the Octagon for 18 months. It's just injuries. It's injuries piling up.

"I fought too many times in the last five or six years with serious injuries. I don't feel the need at this point to fight injured. When you're fighting and not 100 percent, it's not a fun thing. It's not something fun to go through. It's not fun going through training camp when you need surgery."

The 38-year-old has just four losses in his 41-fight career, with all of his losses coming against fighters who were either Champions at the time, or would become Champions in the future in Matt Hughes, Georges St-Pierre, B.J. Penn, and Frankie Edgar. His stellar record overall has him eying an eventual slot in the UFC's Hall of Fame, and he hopes to get in a few more top fights in the Octagon to make his case for that spot even stronger.

"I want to fight again," Sherk said. "I'm a fighter. At this point in time, do I plan on fighting five or six more times? Probably not, to be honest with you. That's why I want big fights. I want co-main-event or main-event type fights that are going to cement my place in the UFC Hall of Fame. Absolutely, I think at this point in time, I've done enough to be a hall of famer, but I'd like a few more fights to make my mark."

"I fought for the world title in two different weight classes. I was No. 1 or No. 2 in two different weight classes in the world. I won a world title. I defended a world title. I think I've done enough to cement my place in the UFC Hall of Fame."

Penick's Analysis: With the injury issues he's had and the amount of time he's been out of the cage, it'd be almost impossible for Sherk to run up to the high end of the lightweight division again. However, while he is absolutely at the tail end of his career, he's a fighter who has had a lot of success, has a great record overall, and could still be a very tough challenge for a lot of people. I'd like to see him get another couple fights in the Octagon and not have injuries be the end of his career, so hopefully 2012 is the year we see him back in the cage.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_12085.shtml

Paul Buentello  Josh Burkman  Mikey Burnett  Murilo Bustamante  Grant Campbell  Gesias JZ Calvancante  Luiz Cane  Dos Caras Jr   Phil Cardella Roan Jucao Carneiro

No comments:

Post a Comment